Monday, April 18, 2011

Easter Peep Bunnies

I have always been fan of the Easter candy Peeps.  I love when the package has been opened and they get just a little bit hard and a little bit stale. 
Well this next craft isn't hard or stale... LOL.

Check out the blog Dandelions and Lace for this next tutorial.  I'm not even going to show how I made them (other then a few tips) because her explanation and pictures are amazing! 

The first difference in my Peeps and hers is that I enlarged her pattern.  The reason I did this was because
a) I'm just a beginner and I don't think I could have sewn around the ears as well as she did... It was still tricky.
b) I wanted to use my peeps as decorations where hers were small enough to put in a Easter Basket.

Here are my Easter Peeps:



And now my tips.

If the back of the fleece isn't noticeable like 2 of my fabric's were make sure to mark them somehow so you know which way is the front and which is the back.  The pattern looks symmetrical but it's not.  I had this problem with the first one that I made.  I had the second piece all pinned to complete the back and none of the corners or ears matched up.  It would have made for a silly looking bunny.


When pinning together the back of the bunny.  If found it easier to match key corners (top of each ear, anywhere there was to be an indent).  It took away any guess work that I had to do. 


Use a ton of pins!  It helps keep it all together and makes sure the fabric won't bunch up or stretch the wrong direction.


Have fun  with the colors and where you display the bunnies.  My son loves getting up in the morning and seeing where the bunnies have moved to that day.  The funniest thing he said one morning while eating breakfast and saw that two of the bunnies were on a ledge we have in our living room "Oh my crap mom, what are they doing up there?!"  He's only two so it was pretty funny because I don't know where he learned "Oh my crap" from. 


Remember to visit Dandelions and Lace. She also has a pattern for Peep Chicks.  So cute, but I'll stick to the Peep Bunnies this year.  If you do make a bunny please post either a link in the comment section or email me to let me know.  It's fun to see what others are making.

No comments:

Post a Comment