Monday, October 18, 2010

Monster Cupcakes

Anyone that knows me well knows that I love cupcakes. There is just something magical about minature cakes. I love how easy they are to create. If I would have known better I wouldn't have gone into Interior Design but gone into some type of baking degree. I love watching the cake shows (Ace of Cakes, Cake Boss, Ultimate Cake Challenge and of course cupcake wars).

For a little get together with my friends and their kids I made these:


Aren't they adorable. I was inspired by a segment on Good Things Utah. I think my favorite is the Mummy and the Spider. I couldn't find the Black Licroice strings so my spider has red legs. That's the power of creativity!

They were super easy to make

Step 1: Bake your favorite cupcake recipe. I go easy and pick up a box. I hate chocolate so I usually get something buttery... mmm butter.

Step 2. Decide what monsters you want to make. In my case I decided to make Frankenstein, a Pumpkin, Witch, Spider and Mummy.

Step 3: Mix food coloring with sections of your frosting. I used white, Green and Orange.

Step 4: Have fun decorating. This would also be a great project for kids. My two year old isn't one to help with this kind of stuff yet but we are working on that.

For Frankenstein: I used Black Gumdrops for the bolts (flavor was Blood orange... mmm), and marshmellows for the mouth. I used black frosting for the hair and eyes

For Pumpkin: I used Black Gumdrops for the eyes, Candycorn for the nose and black frosting for the mouth. Green frosting for the stem.

For the Witch I used graham crackers cut into a witches hat then frosted with black frosting, Candy corn for the nose and black frosting for the hair, eyes and mouth.

For the spider I frosted white, then made a spiral circle with the black frosting. I then pulled a toothpick from the center to the edges to create a Spiderweb effect. The spider is made from Black gumdrop and black frosting. The legs are pull apart licorice.

The Mummy is my favorite: he is made by frosting the cupcake white. Then placing Junior mints for eyes. I then put frosting into a bag and made it look like bandages. So fun and SO easy.

I hope this inspires you to be creative this halloween. The food a fun part of the season too.

No comments:

Post a Comment