Wednesday, December 8, 2010

2x4 Snowman

I am addicted to 2x4 projects. Once I saw this tutorial on Crafty Chic Mommy's blog I just knew I had to make one (or two). I also have a very a patient husband that will cut my wood for me (I just can't get over my fear of the saw).

I made this snowman as a baby shower prize. But I couldn't just stop with one I also made one for my Sister-in-Law for her birthday.




How I made the 2x4 snowman:
3 2x4 cut to size you want the snow man.
  • I used 8" for bottom, 6" for middle and 4" for head

White Paint
Brown Paint
Burnt Orange Paint (for the nose)
2 Buttons
2 Stars (one for the star with words on it, and one for the nose)
Fabric for Scarf

First you need to sand the edges of the 2x4 so they are smooth and a little bit rounded

Next paint all the blocks white



Once the paint is dry water down the brown paint and apply it like a stain. I liked the kind of dingy look. The white was just too white. Apply the brown paint then immediatly wipe the paint off.


Once the blocks are dry glue them together. I use Gorilla Glue and LOVE it! It drys pretty quickly (completly dry in 5 hours) and you don't need to use a lot of it. And it's tough glue!



Once the glue on the blocks are set you can begin decorating your snowman.

I don't have a saw or anything I could cut a wooden nose out of so what I did was I bought two stars. The one I used for the bottom of the snowman and the second I used for his nose. I used my husbands pipe cutter (I think that's what they are) and started cutting. It worked out perfectly because it already had a rounded corner. To make the lines in the nose I just used one of our old kitchen knives and cut lines. Then I used our potato peeler to make them deeper. Quality I know, but I had to use what I had on hand.

The star that I used for the nose


Beginning cutting


After all the cuts. Don't forget to sand the edges. This will help get ride of any rough edges from the scissors.



Once you've gotten your nose the way you like it paint it orange. Don't worry if the paint doesn't get in ithe lines that you cut because you'll be putting the brown paint (stain) overtop and the lines will be filled in.

Finally after decorating your snowman you will have a wonderful 2x4 creation!

1 comment:

  1. Uh....i justlove this and your blog.pretty sure we need to live by rather so we can craft together. Your way too good.

    ReplyDelete